All students participating in a university-sponsored or affiliated international experience including study, research, internships, service, or conference attendance must meet the following requirements as per the FSU travel policy:
An international experience is considered university-sponsored or affiliated if:
- the experience is provided through a university center or department to which a program fee is paid, including but not limited to International Programs and Center for Global Engagement.
- the experience is organized on behalf of a registered FSU organization, including but not limited to student organizations, religious groups, sport clubs, varsity athletic teams, civic engagement organizations, academic or administration departments, or
- an FSU account contributes funds, or money is held and disbursed through a university account for the trip, or
- the experience is facilitated by an FSU faculty or staff member, or
- the international experience will be considered for academic credit.
Students must be registered in the international experience database prior to beginning their international experience. Students participating in international experiences and paying program fees through the International Programs office or Center for Global Engagement (including bilateral exchange programs) will be automatically enrolled in the database.
All other students (individuals and groups) participating in a university-sponsored or affiliated program will need to complete a Student International Experience Plan (SIEP) in order to be registered in the database. Please note that the Center for Global Engagement’s role is to process the required forms and proof of insurance for submission to the International Experience Database. CGE does not provide the pre-departure training or risk assessment required for the safety of outbound students and student groups.
Group Leaders or individual students must review the U.S. Department of State’s Travel Advisory before submitting the SIEP. If the travel location has an advisory of Level 3 (Reconsider Travel), then the group leader or individual student must submit an FSU Travel Exemption Request. Florida State University does not sponsor or approve programs or student travel to locations with U.S. Department of State Travel Advisory of Level 4 (Do Not Travel).
Read more about guidelines and procedures for exemptions from the FSU International Travel Oversight Committee.
All outbound students must remain in compliance with a) the FSU health insurance requirements for international experiences and b) remain in compliance with FSU health insurance requirements for enrollment.
Students meet the requirements for international experiences by purchasing the FSU health insurance plan, which includes international health insurance coverage, or by being enrolled in or purchasing the university international health insurance plan (CISI for 2018-2019).
International health insurance coverage in both the FSU health insurance plan and the CISI plan include the following:
- International medical coverage @ $250,000
- Emergency medical evacuation @ $100,000
- Repatriation of mortal remains @ $100,000
(1) Students participating in a program in which the international insurance coverage is provided as part of the program fee (International Programs, Beyond Borders Intercultural Exchange), are automatically enrolled in international health insurance as part of their program fee.
(2) Students participating in a program or activity in which the international insurance coverage is not provided as part of the program fee must be covered by either the FSU health insurance plan or purchase the university international health insurance plan (CISI for 2018). Students can purchase the FSU coverage through FSU’s University Health Services. Students who complete and submit the SIEP but do not have the FSU insurance will be sent a link to purchase the CISI coverage. Proof of insurance is required to register in the FSU International Experience Database and be in compliance with FSU’s policy for international student travel.