Global Pathways Certificate
Preparing today’s students to be tomorrow’s
"After the completion of my Global Pathways project,
I understand the responsibility, the pleasure, and the awareness that comes attached to
being a global citizen."
Global Pathways Certificate in Environmental Sustainability,
Environmental Studies and Anthropology Major
Featured on FSU Headlines:
Florida State University is getting national nods for its dedication to its community, local and global.
The Florida State University Global Pathways Certificate, designed by The Florida State University Academic Affairs and Student Affairs, maximizes the rich cultural learning experiences available to you on campus, in the community and abroad. You can choose a certificate theme based on your interest and goals, take related academic courses and a language, and participate in international and/or intercultural experiences and events to enhance your theme. Such active learning and reflection, together with intercultural interaction, dialogue and service help provide the invaluable intercultural skills and competencies needed to be a global-ready graduate.
- Any major can participate; it particularly helps students stand out who are in majors that are not specifically internationally focused.
- If you were thinking of taking a language, and even though it may not be required for your major, this will give you additional recognition for your effort.
- Your participation will encourage and motivate you to participate in the many intercultural opportunities on campus and The Florida State University’s international opportunities abroad.
- You will become a more interculturally and globally conscious citizen of the world.
- You will develop important competencies which will help you collaborate more effectively with people from cultures different than your own.
- You will develop the necessary skills to enter a work force that is diverse and multicultural.
- You will be able to demonstrate to future employers and graduate schools that you have worked to prepare yourself for today’s global society through the academic courses and intercultural experiences required for the certificate.
- You will receive a certificate and your transcript will show that you have earned a Global Pathways Certificate.
Choose a Global Pathways Certificate Theme that will tie together your coursework, experiences, and activities into an emphasis area. To earn the certificate you will:
- Include 4 courses in your academic plan that address contemporary International/Intercultural issues. The courses should align with your chosen theme. (When certificate courses are taken at an off-campus site, except for Panama City, FL, the student will earn a Global Pathways Specialized Study)
- Study a language. The language requirement is the same as the one for earning a BA degree (proficiency equal to or beyond the 2000-level in one modern language). (International students whose native language is not English are exempt from this requirement.
- Participate in one of the following university sponsored or approved programs: international experience such as study abroad, cultural exchange, international internship, international service learning, international research project, or a nationally recognized organization's international study or volunteer experience OR sustained intercultural experience on campus, in the community or in the US through a variety of programs designed to promote interaction with people from different cultures.
- Participate in 8 different international events or activities that are available on campus throughout the year. You will receive regular updates on the array of choices in social/cultural, educational, experiential, and services opportunities.
- Complete a synthesis project to include a reflection on your international and intercultural experiences and how you will apply this in your personal and professional life. You can also create a video or prepare a slide presentation about your learning experiences to share with others.
With careful planning, all of the certificate components can be incorporated into the academic plan for most undergraduate majors. Students who opt for the local intercultural experience, in lieu of an international experience, may not incur additional expenses.
You must be a degree-seeking undergraduate or graduate student at The Florida State Universityin good standing to participate.
To appeal an assessment of the Global Pathways Certificate requirements, you may send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Include "Appeal" in your subject heading and include the following in the body of your email: 1) your name, 2) the requirement you are appealing, 3) the reason for appeal, and 4) details to support your appeal. Your appeal will be reviewed by the Chair of the Global Pathways Academic Committee.