FSU’s Special Academic Program is designed to recruit excellent international students to its Master degree programs. Senior students and recent graduates study two semesters at FSU which helps them transition to the U.S. educational system, complete prerequisite classes for graduate study, and complete the Bachelor degree from the home institution. From 2013-2017, 100% of students who applied to an FSU master program after completing the Special Academic Program at FSU were accepted.
Majors available: Chemical Engineering, Civil and Environmental Engineering, Electrical and Computer Engineering, Industrial and Manufacturing Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Finance, Marketing/General Business, and Public Administration
- 1 of 2 top public research universities in Florida
- 38th among Top Public Universities in the US, according to US News & World Report
- Home of the National High Magnetic Field Laboratory
- FSU leads Florida in 4 of 8 areas of external funding for the STEM disciplines (Science, Technology, Engineering and Math).
- 41,000 students from 130 countries
Located in Tallahassee Florida, the state capital
Top Benefits for Students
- Immersion in English-language and American culture, while earning academic credit in regular classes at a highly ranked US university.
- Participants become fully integrated into the academic and social life of their academic departments, which provides a seamless transition from undergraduate to graduate studies at FSU. The personal contact with faculty members also helps students when applying for the master program and when looking for a supervisor(s) for graduate research.
- Students ongoing academic and non-academic support from dedicated staff, which helps students excel academically.
- Students who perform well on the Special Academic Program are fast-tracked through the FSU master programs; and most can graduate with a Master degree in 3 additional semesters.
- Students on an F1 visa may apply for Optional Practical Training and remain in the U.S. for a job or internship for up to 1 year (more for STEM fields).
Dr. Jocelyn Vaughn
Program Director of FSU’s Special Academic Programs. Dr. Vaughn manages the agreement process with international partner universities.
Dr. Robert Hughes
Oversees non-academic support for program participants throughout their time at Florida State University.
Dr. Sun Chunxia
Representative for Florida State University's Special Academic Programs (3+1+1).